This family weekend and vacation home is built on a bluff overlooking the James River near Scottsville, Va. Designed by family members, Danny and Katie MacNelly, Architecture Firm, Richmond Va. The heart of the home is the center volume with Living, Dining and Kitchen areas. To the right is a 2 bedroom wing connected to the center by a glassed entryway. The “Kids’” Bedroom features a bunk room with 2 trundle beds to sleep 10. The opposite wing consisting of a Bedroom and Media room stands alone with a wedge shaped deck to connect. A Garage/Barn of similar style is located 150 feet away.
The AIA (American Institute of Architects) Virginia recently named this house the Residential Design Honor + Excellence Award Recipient. “This project captured the jury from the first slide and was the favorite of all entries submitted this year,” says the jury.
Featured in Dwell and Abode
- Siding: Custom milled shiplap cedar siding
- Roofing: EPDM flat roof with concealed downspouts
- Terraces: Slate from local Buckingham Slate Quarry
- Foundation walls: Parged cinderblock crawl space
- Interior floors: White oak and tile
- Interior walls and ceilings: whitewashed shiplap cedar
- Insulation: Sprayed open cell foam
- HVAC: High efficiency heat pumps
- Kitchen counters: 2” solid pine made from reclaimed pine beams
- Windows: Western Sliding doors and windows
Watch a Drone Fly-Over of James River House